Do you draw a blank when someone asks what you do at a networking event? Yep, us, too. But the book Story Brand by Don Miller turned that around for me. I’ve been raving about it ever since I finished the audiobook version.
You are a good writer but very possibly a terrible storyteller. Hey, it’s not your fault. You were trained to prefer logic or emotions just like the rest of us. However, that inability to relate to and interweave your client’s story into your marketing is holding you back. Until now.
Read the interview with Christian George, Story Brand Certified Guide
Can you please tell me a little about your background and the services you offer?
Together with my wife Tanisha, we are co-founders of Trilogy One Consulting. And we understand that most small businesses waste a lot of money on marketing. But it’s not for the reason you may think. See, marketing is all about communication. So if your marketing isn’t working then you most likely have a communication problem.
Which means your words don’t resonate with the people who need your help the most. Instead, you’re confusing them.. and when people are confused they don’t act. So what we do is we help you build a strong marketing foundation, which means we start by helping you create a clear company message first. That’s right, your message needs to be clear before you do anything marketing related. And we do this using a proven marketing framework called StoryBrand.
And as StoryBrand Certified Guides, we are licensed to teach and help leaders implement the 7-part messaging framework inside their businesses, firms, and practices. Once your message is clear, we’ll help you implement it across all your marketing collateral… we can help you create a website that converts, lead generators that grab eye-balls, email campaigns build loyalty, and other marketing collateral that allows you to grow. And what we’ve seen is… when you build a proper marketing foundation… when you use the RIGHT WORDS… you’re able to reach the RIGHT people so you can grow your firm or practice faster, and do it without the marketing waste. But we didn’t start off this way…
Why did you decide to offer your services?
After getting out of the military, I went to work for a company that provided financial services and support to small businesses. So I had the honor of speaking to thousands of small business owners. And over time, what I realized was that most of these leaders, couldn’t even tell me what they did… how they did it… and how they make their customers’ lives better.
So, although they were coming to us because they wanted financial support, what they really needed was to learn how to communicate. Because they had created products, great services, in most cases… great people, they just didn’t know how to reach the people who needed their help. And, it was around the same time that I discovered StoryBrand. So I dug in and started to learn everything I could so that I could help these businesses that were struggling. I saw a real need and discovered a way to help people efficiently… Plus it works. When you learn how to create messages that resonate with your clients… it changes the game completely.
How can lawyers benefit from your tool or service?
In my opinion, lawyers have a leg up on other professions, because lawyers are trained communicators. The best lawyers know how to communicate in a way that grabs people’s attention and compels them to take action. And marketing isn’t any different. The best marketers in the world understand how to use words and story to grab and keep the attention of their most valuable customers. Our approach allows you to apply what you already know about communicating with the way you talk about your business. But we make it easy so you don’t have to struggle, waste time and throw away more money.
Name 3 things that potential users misunderstand about your service and set the record straight.
1. I need help telling my story… Storytelling is a hot topic in marketing these days. But when most leaders come to us they think that we’re going to help them tell their story. But that’s not what we do. We actually help you tell your customer’s story. We won’t help you tell your story because your customer doesn’t care about your story.
In fact, one key differentiator of the StoryBrand framework is positioning your firm or practice as the guide in your client’s journey. They’re the HERO, you’re the one who helps them get to where they want to be. It’s a huge misconception and I’m grateful that we’re able to bust that myth over and over again and deliver the message they really need to be sharing, which is their customers’
2. It’s not easy to do WELL... frameworks are meant to make things easier but that doesn’t mean it will be easy. And that’s not usually the case. There are the two main difficulties leaders run into when they try to create a clear message on their own:
(1) they don’t understand their customer, and
(2) they end up using big words, cute/clever anecdotes, and inside language their customers don’t understand. Both of these are huge challenges… if you don’t understand your customer it’ll be hard to create a message that resonates with them… and sounding smart, cute, or clever doesn’t necessarily mean clear, so in either case, you have confusion. That’s why we help to make the whole process easier. We know how to work through it, we know it should look like and sound like, and we know how to ask the right questions.
3. One and done… a lot of people think that the messaging process is a one and done exercise. I did it once so we’re good. Well, that’s not the case it’s like anything else in the business that needs to be refined, refocused, and clarified over time. That’s why every client we work with must invest in at least 3-hours of coaching calls, one call each month for 3 months so that we can refine, refocus, and clarify the message even further. That way you can connect with more of the RIGHT people and protect your investment over time.
If lawyers don’t use your service or tool, what can they expect?
I met a doctor recently. He’s an incredible guy who I connected with at a networking event. We went around the room to introduce ourselves, when it was his turn to introduce himself he said, “Hi I’m _________, I’m a doctor.” And he didn’t say anything else. He filled the awkward silence with some laughs and yeahs. It was awful. I felt bad for him. What makes it worse is he’s probably an incredible doctor, but he didn’t communicate clearly and it probably hurt his business. I bet this story probably sounds familiar to a lot of you because you might be doing the same thing. If you’re having trouble communicating what you do to other people… and all you can get out is “I’m a lawyer,” then it’s hurting your bottom line. And, if you’re doing that, then there’s a really good chance your firm/practice message isn’t resonating with those who need your help either. And what that means for you is more wasted time and money, fewer people served, and slower or stagnant growth. There’s a huge cost to being unclear. And you want to avoid it all costs.
What’s the best actionable advice you can give lawyers? (tips, etc)
Do you have a special offer you’d like to share? If so what is it?
How can lawyers connect with you?
Listen to the Audio
What’s your favorite food or beverage & why?